This course supports participants in the implementation of a thorough and step-by-step approach to course design. The overall objective of the course is the development of a course plan that is student-centered and promotes deep and active learning. It is expected that by the end of the course participants will have completed a storyboard (weekly learning plan) of their course as well as the design of some activities and a sample module in Canvas.
Some of the key points covered in the course are:
- The Backward Course Design model
- Alignment of learning outcomes, activities, and assessment
- Delivery modes: face-to-face, online, blended
- Formative assessment and feedback
The CORE workshops are developed from the evidence-based CAIeRO (Creating Aligned Interactive educational Resource Opportunities) framework but have been adapted and modified to suit the requirements of Copenhagen Business School. The CAIeRO framework is developed and integrated in 2008 as part of the quality assurance of all courses and programs at the University of Northampton and the framework and materials are in use at several universities around the world under the terms of a Creative Commons license.
Time and process
The course takes place on-demand. Dates and times are agreed upon with the participants.
The course will typically consist of 2 full-day workshops with the learning consultants. Participants are also expected to produce some work independently. A different format can be agreed upon depending on your needs. The learning consultants will be available for support throughout the process.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to apply the Backward Design model for course design through completion of the following activities:
- reflecting on the general goals of the course and the characteristics of the students
- writing intended learning outcomes
- ensuring alignment between learning outcomes, learning activities, and assessment
- developing a student-centered weekly plan for the course
- producing prototypes for some activities and a sample module in Canvas
Upon completion of the course, participants will receive a formal certificate. To pass the course, participants are expected to complete all activities.
The managers of the course will be Teaching